Wednesday 29 June 2016

Old Blighty. York

 
                                                  Clifford's tower York Castle

      After Lincoln I travelled on to York. On the confluence of the Ouse and Foss. Founded by the Romans in AD 71 and where Constantine the great was proclaimed emperor. The Vikings took it 866/867, and were kicked out in 954. The walls are part Roman, part Saxon, part Viking, part Norman and had rebuilds in the 13 th and 14 th centuries. It still has most of its city walls and all of the original city gates which you can walk around the city on, which I did, needles to say.

 
                                                   Bootham Bar  City gate York

 
Micklegate Bar York
 
York is famous for the Shambles, a narrow medieval market street. I went there early in the morning to take photos before the tourists arrived ( not me, I'm a traveller!)
 
 
The Shambles York
 
 
The Ouse York
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment